Workshop: Turn Up the Heat!

Turn up the Heat! Heightening Sexual Tension and Sensuality in Your Manuscript

Presenter: Nicole North
Date: TBA
Cost: TBA

Description: Editors want to buy spicy-hot romance stories now more than ever before. How do you do it? In this class we will discuss all aspects of sexual tension and sensuality and how they relate to the developing romance in your story.  You'll learn tips for successfully building sexual tension over the course of the hero and heroine's relationship from first glance, through climax, to happily ever after.  Several examples will be used to illustrate different nuances of hot romantic chemistry and how to employ them in your own story.  Learn how to avoid clichés and use sexiness in fresh new ways.  Strengthening sexual tension will take your story from ho-hum to so hot and delicious your reader can't put it down.   We'll do exercises for hands-on learning.  (Please be aware this course contains explicit and frank discussions of sexuality.)

**Topics covered**
Using the five senses more effectively
Sexy talk
Word choice
First kiss
Foreplay
First love scene
How to rebuild sexual tension after sex
Why point of view is important
Hot characters
Combining physical attraction and emotion
Body language
Differences between romance and erotic romance
Revising to make a sensual romance manuscript spicy or erotic

Fun Extras
Visual inspiration
Multimedia examples and exercises

This is an online workshop conducted via private email group. To register and pay please visit www.paypal.com and send payment to nicole@nicolenorth.comInclude the title of the workshop and your name/ email in the message area of the form. I'll send a confirmation when I receive your payment.
Thank you!!!

I prefer Paypal payments but if you need to send a money order, please email me at nicole@nicolenorth.com

I'm sorry, I don't accept personal checks.
Thank you!!
---

Testimonials from the wonderful, generous and talented students who took my Turn Up the Heat! class in the past:


A workshop review by Mageela Troche printed in the RWA-NYC January Newsletter: Sexual tension is an important thread in the romance genre. Some people have the knack while others need a little help. I was one that needed help. Searching through the RWA workshops, I found Turn Up the Heat! The instructor Nicole North writes erotic romance and her first novella Devil in a Kilt will be included in Red Sage Secrets Volume 27 followed by Beast in a Kilt in Red Sage Secrets Volume 29. The workshop is formatted into twelve lessons. Each one presented in an easy, understandable format focused on the various ingredients of sexual tension, ranging from the writer's comfort level and the five senses to the all important meeting scene, first kiss, and what happens after sex. Nicole also uses visual clips, showing the sexual tension between characters and the nuisances of body language that reveals the desire and reinforces the topic with written examples. Through cyberspace, Nicole produces a friendly atmosphere. Even when she critiques your workshop exercise, she cheers you on while offering advice to improve the scene. If you're looking to notch up your sexual tension, I recommend this workshop. I still find myself going over the lessons, helping me layer the sexual tension through my work.♥  (Thank you, Mageela! You are too kind.)
:)


"I thought your workshop was terrific. You put in a lot of time and effort into the valuable information you posted for us as well as the critiques. You are a wonderful teacher, Nicole! I would definitely recommend this workshop to anyone interested in Turning up the Heat in their writing. I have gotten more out of the workshop than I even anticipated."
~Danielle

"Wonderful workshop! I learned a lot about sexual tension - what it is and how to turn up the tension between my characters by using all of the senses. There isn't a thing I didn't like about this workshop, except that it only lasted a month. :) Each lesson was well organized and covered the very topics I hoped to learn more about when I signed up. Your lessons have really inspired me to work on the scenes I've been avoiding up until now. In a word, your workshop is AWESOME! All of your lessons and excerpts and your feedback to everyone has really opened up my eyes. I've learned so much and I'm very grateful for the time and effort you've put into reviewing all our posts. You rock! :)"
Jenna


"Not only have I learned so much from your lessons and comments, but also from the others in the class and your responses to them. At some point during this course, I realized I was now able to objectively look at my own work and critique it. Somehow, a switch in my head flipped, and now it all makes sense. I understand how the pieces fit together. To me, this is such a watershed moment.  I learned a ton in this workshop, more than I could have imagined. It’s easily the most enjoyable and informative workshop I’ve taken."
~Scott

"[The workshop] helped me realize how deep POV is used to build sexual tension and makes the tension and characters more vivid within the pages. It explained everything and answered questions that I had as I read and gave me information I didn't even know that I was lacking."
anonymous

"I got a lot more than I expected and the workshop was very high quality and professional all the way. I will definitely recommend it to my writing friends."
anonymous

"Your class has been amazingly helpful. Each lesson was a handle-able amount of information presented clearly. Your willingness to answer questions so thoroughly outside the normal lesson posts was also helpful. You very wonderfully covered the topic! I think your choices were great, and definitely more information and help than I expected, so I was totally impressed. Nicole, this it he best online workshop I've ever taken and one of the best workshops of any sort. Your generosity in critiquing has been incredible, the information valuable and well presented, and the atmosphere of the class was totally supportive. I will recommend this workshop to anybody looking for something even vaguely related to the topic. :) You're such a great teacher. Nobody has ever been able to explain what "show don't tell" really means until you and this class, and it's like this beautiful discovery that has made working on my last scene harder but infinitely more satisfying. "
Jennifer

"Your comments and suggestions to my work and to everyone else's were very insightful. It was kind of a revelation to me to see your suggestions for edits that would transform the work--surprising to see how sometimes a very tiny change could make a huge difference. It stretched my imagination to see so many different people's approaches to the same premise. Great workshop! I was pleasantly surprised to learn so much in just an online class. Really a great value too!"
Beth

"I've been able to improve upon one of the areas where I've always struggled. [The exercises] helped me apply the information and also find areas where I could improve, such as making my love scenes more sensual. I've actually recommended it to several of my writer friends."
Julie

"It was fun.  Very informative but so enjoyable! I've taken quite a few online classes and this one has been the best!  I've learned more in this class than in any other that I've taken. You are a natural teacher."
Bev

"[The workshop] helped enormously... I've been avoiding writing these sort of scenes too. Now armed with knowledge and a little confidence, I also feel ready to tackle them."
Janine

“This has been a wonderful experience! Since this was my first online workshop it will most definitely be the standard by which I measure all others. Everything was terrific — the lectures, the examples, the visuals, the exercises and especially the critiques. I am much more confident about writing sexual tension now. I’ve loved this workshop and I’ve learned soooo much. It more than met my expectations.”
Averil


“I love this workshop. You have taught me so much. You give more than enough information, plenty of examples. The visuals are great, the subtle nuances you point out to us, and the difference in eroticism and normal everyday romance are informative. The information you are giving us, and your answers rival the best of the best. You have a flair for teaching - the gift. Wow, did you ever soar, Lady Eros!!!!”
Evelyn


“You are perfect for the workshop. Please keep me informed about future workshops that you are giving. I do want to take them. I learned so very much in this workshop. You were energetic, fun, terrific in your lessons and always ready to answer questions.  I have learned so much from you in this workshop. I am delighted with everything that you have brought forth as lessons and discussions. I have learned techniques and what to watch for in writing scenes. Thank you very much. You made me laugh again with your lovely wit and insight.”
Anne


“You have a gift for teaching while at the same time boosting self-esteem. It was a pleasure to read your comments. One of the many things I liked about this class was seeing your editing of submitted writing. I understand/get from examples shown quicker than reading what not to do.”
Gerri


“You are an awesome instructor! I can’t wait to take another [workshop] with you. My writing feels much stronger in the sex and sexual tension areas. :)”
Sheryl

“This workshop was great. I can’t believe this was it’s virgin run.”
Luanna


“I think you have gone above and beyond for us with this workshop. I put it in the super category because you did the critiques for us. Thank you for taking the time to do that. You have used great teaching techniques with the visuals, lectures, examples… Thanks for answering all of my questions.”
anonymous